Sunday, March 30, 2014

outdoor kitchen

I have dreamed of an outdoor kitchen.  I have so loved the one I have used nearly every summer when I join 50 folks or so up in Goodyears Bar, where we have baked dozens of blackberry pies and pancakes, and great foods.  And then I found the wonderful outdoor kitchen at Koviashuvik last summer, equally as inspiring.  I knew we needed one at Park Day, but the location of such a place was not clear to me.  I spoke with many people, and did not find an easy solution; that is until I spoke with my 8 year old daughter.  Why not make it a mobile kitchen, Mom?  Hmmmmm.  Now that actually was a good idea.  That way we could use it by the yurt for gardening class, by the pizza oven when we wanted to fire it up, and over in the mini-farm when we wanted to be a little out of the way and close by the veggies growing there.  And thus the idea, the solution to my many, many walks down the hallway to the kitchen, and a way to get the kids involved in the cooking and the clean-up was born.



I started sketching a design, and my building/teaching partner Ilya did some engineering and refining. We started building it with seventh graders, and got the pieces and joints cuts and started assembling.  Then the fourth graders finished off the bottom shelf.  I mastered plumbing when I successfully installed the faucet and hooked up the hose.  And voila!  MOKI, our new mobile outdoor kitchen was born.









No comments:

Post a Comment