Saturday, November 1, 2014

quilting

Emily has been extremely interested in making a quilt for her dolls.  She chose fabrics, cut the squares, and decided for a little applique for the center square.  I wasn't so sure about the latter, but we put the sewing machine and its many interesting stitches to work, and it turned out well.  I was imagining the quilt might have a border or be more symmetrical or..... But I let Emily the designer have full artistic license, and it was very freeing, I must say.

I have been interested in making a full size quilt one of these days.  I even pulled out my old Amish Quilt book - one that includes a quilt by my great grandmother from Holmes County, Ohio.  I think my daughter taught me some great lessons in the last few days - about just starting, rather than taking too much time to plan and plan and revise and perfect; and about losing my perfectionist tendencies, and just starting to sew, even if all those squares don't line up.  After all, the quilts I am most drawn to are typically the crazy quilt varieties, that are far from geometrically perfect patterns. So we finished up the little quilt, and I am ready to at least ponder how I might start to think of beginning a full-size quilt.  Babysteps forward.  And meanwhile, Emily's dolls have a wonderful quilt to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment